Monday 14 March 2011

Happy Birthday Daddy!

Last month it was Mr B's birthday, his first as a daddy. So I planned an extra special birthday present for him from Joel and I.
A year or so ago we saw a fantastic textile artists work at a contemporary art fair in Manchester. Debbie Smythe draws with pins and thread, her creations are amazing and unlike anything we had seen before. As Mr B is a hard one to buy for I thought a piece of Debbies work would be the perfect special present for him. Through our communications about the piece she was going to create for us I found that Debbie has the same birthday as Mr B, now that's fate saying we must have a piece of her work.

Joel and I wrapped the presents in OS maps which I bought from Oxfam, we'd searched all over town for a nice design but on a roll of wrapping (as the parcels were large) but these old maps were perfect for the job and a bargain to boot! I cut the illustrations off the covers to use as tags too.


I got Joel up early so he could see his daddy open up his cards and presents before he had to go to work. Here he is, still in his pyjamas and sleeping bag, with the triptych Debbie made for Mr B.


We love the illustrative quality of her work, and the use of perspective. Here's some close ups.


Whilst I made breakfast Joel had a good look at his daddys cards. With his mouth that is.


And Joey made further use of the OS maps.


Even though Mr B had to go to work it was a lovely start to a day for us all.

No comments:

Post a Comment

It's great to hear from my followers so please leave your comments on my posts. Thanks Mrs P x

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails